Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fresh From The Kiln




Every kiln load brings about great pleasure, and usually sadness, too. There is always something that didn't turn out right or whose glaze isn't what you expected. It is the nature of pottery, but it can be harsh. These are all from the same kiln load and all bringers of pleasure. I won't too often show the disappointments here, at least not until I've lived with them a while. I don't know if other mediums are such harsh masters. Do other artists frequently have to trash their work? I suppose if I stopped experimenting I would not have theses disappointments, but I am not willing to give up the joy of an experiment that wields something amazing.

6 comments:

Vintage Indie said...

I love the soothing colors, they remind me of the earth and the ocean. Beautiful :o)

fernfiddlehead said...

They are beautiful. Nicely done. I understand the "great pleasure and usually sadness" that you describe.

Sugarloaf said...

Love these blues...so pretty!!

Lisa said...

these are very beautiful. I understand your desire to experiment- and the dissapointment factor. We loose so many pots along the way- its crazy to think about. Luckily, in the long run, the sucesses usually over shadow the dissapointments.

Cynthia said...

I especially love mug #1, upper left.

I am loathe to throw things out, though most mistakes get recyled and used in the studio to hold brushes, cones etc.

Jen Vecc said...

i LOVE the mug in the upper left. that is beautiful... i want it and green tea with some honey right now.. . going to mark as a fave and show my husband how to look at my faves :)
(birthday in november!)