Friday, January 26, 2007

Creator's Block

At almost any given time, I am working on a project. Very few days go by that find my hands idle. Sometimes I just wake up with a picture in my head and I have to make it real right away. Other times, the ideas come so fast that I have to write it all down so I won't forget something before I have a chance to make it.

But this week I didn't want to make anything. I have a half-finished painting that is just waiting for the brush. I have jewelry to assemble. I have a ceramic lamp just barely started that I cannot seem to tackle. I've been wanting to get out the polymer clay, but I have no idea what I want to do with it. I'm just stuck. I do have my catalog of jottings that I always keep going, but nothing is really calling my name. Nothing really needs to be made.

Until yesterday. I have been thinking about making some ceramics pendants, but it's been so cold and it's hard when I can't keep my feet warm to put my hands in cold, damp clay. However, I got an email regarding the glaze test tiles from someone asking if I had considered selling them as pendants. They are too big to use as pendants and we reference them all the time but they are beautiful little sculptures in their own right. I knew it was time to get my hands in the clay in spite of the cold and get some pendants made. I sat down and made 45 pendants and 15 beads! It was lovely!



I also was inspired to carve 12 new stamps to use on future pendants! Handcarving stamps is a tedious process, but if we get something we like, we can use it forever!

Hallelujah! The block has been broken!

No comments: