Friday, February 2, 2007

Somethings Just Don't Work Out Like You Plan


I had such a clear vision for my ceramic pendants. I knew EXACTLY how I wanted them to look. I wanted them to have the same characteristics as our glaze test tiles. I wanted that variation of color, the drips, everything. I wanted spectacular.

The first thing I did wrong was make them from earthenware. I LOVE my stoneware glazes,but I was thinking I could get similar results from the earthenware glazes if I was careful. I chose earthenware because I can glaze the backs and stilt the pieces in a low fire kiln. That way the side against your skin would be cool and smooth. I also do far more earthenware firings and I didn't want to wait until the next stoneware firing.

I'm not saying I don't like them at all - I'm just not exactly thrilled with the results. I still have 40 more to glaze so surely I'll get it right before they are all done! And, probably, these will grow on me. Sometimes it is harder than others to let go of my vision.

No comments: