Monday, July 16, 2007

Bodies in the Kiln

With all the kiln troubles happening lately, we were a little nervous putting something like a drum body in the first glaze firing since we did repairs. We are thrilled with the results and happy to announce our kiln is back in perfect working order!

This was the first time we put these glazes together. Foolishly, considering the size of this drum, we hadn't even done a test tile for this pairing. Still, we are thrilled with the results! The main glaze is Antique Iron and the glaze drip is Winter Day.

We hope to get this drum strung in the next week or so. Usually, the drum stringing is the hardest part of the process. Since Alex fashions the steel rings for each drum by hand, the stringing of the drum is time consuming. Don't worry! We'll show off the end result!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Very cool drum! And, congrats on getting your kiln back in working order. I recently had a bad kiln firing after not checking out a new batch of glaze - lesson learned.